Harry and The Mt Camdeboo Elephant Herd (Loxodonta africana)
Harry was rescued from Blaauwbosch, a barren reserve in South Africa, in 2019. He now has a wonderful new life at Mount Camdeboo Private Reserve, where he was joined by a further 11 elephants rescued from Blaauwbosch.
Harry spends a lot of time feeding further up the mountain slopes than the rest of the herd, but meets up with them periodically. The herd is looking in good condition and Harry remains the calm, gentle soul that endeared him to the rescue team that accompanied him to Mount Camdeboo in 2019.
Your Sponsorship Really Helps
By sponsoring an Aspinall animal, you are helping to support our amazing overseas work and back to the wild campaigns.
What's included in yourSponsorship?
Digital pack £25
Digital pack including photocard and fact sheet about your chosen animal written by the expert team at The Aspinall Foundation.
Certificate of Sponsorship
The sponsor pack will be delivered straight to your inbox
Printed pack £35
18cm cuddly toy
Sponsor folder including photocard and fact sheet about your chosen animal written by the expert team at The Aspinall Foundation.
Certificate of Sponsorship
Please allow up to 14 days for delivery
Please note: Automatic name generation is currently unavailable for Digital sponsorships certificates. These will be left blank for the purchaser or recipient to enter. For Printed Sponsorships please providethe recipients name and it will be manually entered when you order is processed.
Key Facts the African Elephant
Elephant Diet & Habits
African elephants eat seed bearing plants and fruits, picking up berries from the ground and plucking leaves from trees. They also like green grass.
Elephants need a lot of land to find enough food and water and can roam across more than 30,000sq km, as they move around, they create clearings in wooded areas that let new plants grow and forests regenerate naturally. They are social creatures and will hug each other by wrapping their trunks together.
Where they can be found in the wild?
Found in the sub-Saharan Africa there are 37 countries where African elephants live, with an estimated 70% in Southern African and the other 30% split between Eastern, Central and West Africa.
Did you know?
The African elephant’s trunk is actually an elongated nose and upper lip and an adults trunk can measure 7 feet long! They use their trunks, for smelling, breathing, drinking, vocalising and handling things.
Elephants help to spread plants by eating seeds which re-emerge undigested
How we're helping
The largest terrestrial animal requires massive amounts of browse every day, which is sourced from our own woodlands. The Aspinall Foundation is investigating the possible reintroduction of our herd to a private reserve in Africa.